ASP.NET MVC RC 1 Visual Studio Crash

After installing the newly released ASP.NET MVC RC 1, Visual Studio started crashing on me when opening a View (.aspx filer), always with the following error in the Application event log:

Error 1/28/2009 10:50:31 AM .NET Runtime 1023 None
.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3053 – Fatal Execution Engine Error (707F5E00) (80131506)

Though every few tries, this one would pop up too:

Error 1/28/2009 10:41:27 AM devenv 0 None
The description for Event ID 0 from source devenv cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

The data source ‘{130bada6-e128-423c-9d07-02e4734d45d4}’ specifies no supporting providers or a set that are not registered.

Oh, and as an FYI, this is on a Vista 64-bit box.

Seems quite a few people had this almost identical problem with the Preview 5 release last time. Uninstalling all my add-ins (Visual SVN, ReSharper, Gallio, etc.) didn’t help, nor did a complete MVC re-install after rebooting.

I eventually found a post here that mentioned whacking the bin folder and all its contents helped their Preview 5 issue. It didn’t quite work for me, however, after removing and re-adding the references to all four MVC assemblies (Microsoft.Web.Mvc, System.Web.Mvc, System.Web.Abstractions, and System.Web.Routing) and doing a full rebuild, my problem disappeared and I was good to go.

It’s odd how an assembly reference would cause Visual Studio to crash. It must be trying to do something with them when you open the .aspx page in the source view. Even odder is the fact that I overwrote the old Preview 5 assemblies with the new ones, so I thought doing a full rebuild in Visual Studio would have automatically used those new assemblies. Guess the IDE needs them re-referenced, though. Oh well, works now.

6 Responses

  1. Eric Hoff Says:

    Awesome! Thanks so much!
    I had the exact same problem, and your solution worked. Your post saved me a lot of trouble!

  2. mausch Says:

    This just happened to me too while upgrading from RC to the “new” RC and your advice fixed it perfectly. Thanks!

  3. MarcelloP Says:

    I cannot get rid of it!
    VS continue to crash, I apply your tips and I have uninstalled all my addins, and then it work. But if i close an aspx/ascx/master and then try to reopen it, VS crash again.

  4. Darrell Mozingo Says:

    @MarcelloP: This problem actually started cropping back up on me again after a few days, for no apparent reason.

    I tracked it down to my Gallio install (latest 64-bit version). I uninstalled its VS 2008 add-in portion, leaving only the ReSharper add-in, and it worked fine for a few more days then cropped back up.

    I’m now running on the latest 32-bit build and, *crossing my fingers*, works OK so far. So you might want to keep playing around with your add-ins, as they seems to always be the common theme with this particular problem.

  5. KristoferA Says:

    Here’s a link to a blog post where someone from MSFT (for the first time publicly) acknowledge this problem:

    Also mentioned on stackoverflow and on many other community sites/forums:

  6. KristoferA Says:

    Microsoft has released a hotfix that addresses this issue. See:

Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.